NVTC’s governing body consists of 21 commissioners and four alternates. Fourteen are locally elected officials from NVTC’s six jurisdictions. The General Assembly appoints six commissioners and Virginia’s Secretary of Transportation appoints one commissioner. NVTC officers are elected in January and serve for one year.
- 5 members from Fairfax County
- 3 members from Arlington County
- 2 members from Loudoun County
- 2 members from the City of Alexandria,
- 1 member each from the cities of Falls Church and Fairfax
- 6 members from the General Assembly of Virginia (2 Senators and 4 Delegates)
- 1 designee of the Secretary of Transportation of Virginia
- Arlington County
- Fairfax County
- Loudoun County
- City of Alexandria
- City of Falls Church
- City of Fairfax
- Virginia’s two principal and two alternate members to the Board of Directors of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA or Metro).
- Four principal members and three alternates to the Virginia Railway Express Operations Board.